1st Class Manual Machinist
Job Title: 1st Class Manual Machinist
Reports to: Project Manager
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Sets up and operates conventional, special-purpose, and machining centers to fabricate metallic and nonmetallic parts, and fits and assembles machined parts into complete units, applying knowledge of machine shop theory and procedures, shop mathematics, machinability of materials, and layout techniques:
- Sets up and operates machine shop tools. Manufactures precision parts, fits and assembles parts to make or repair metal parts, mechanism tools or machines.
- Must have knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, metal properties, layout and machining procedures and configuration with precision measuring instruments.
- Studies and understand specifications, such as blue prints, sketches or descriptions. Plans sequence of operations to achieve finished product.
- Sets up and operates lathes, mills, drills presses, planers, jigs fixtures, surface table/plate, power tools or grinders to machine parts to specifications, using measuring instruments.
- Operate overhead cranes and perform rigging.
- Verifies dimensions and alignment, including making sketches that reflect size
- Sets up and operates machine on trial run to verify accuracy of machine settings or programmed control data.
- Must have regular, reliable attendance. Monday thru Sunday if required and overtime during the week.
- Will be required to wear personal protective equipment: respirator, hard hat, safety glasses, steel toe boots/shoes, etc. when necessary.
- Familiarity with OSHA regulations relative to the shipbuilding industry.
- Perform similar, incidental and any other duties as assigned.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although out-of-the-area and overnight travel will be expected.
Required Education & Experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalent or five to seven years’ related experience or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience practical
- Must demonstrate knowledge of general hand tools Must have ability to work with extremely close tolerances (i.e. .0005" to .001") and meet allotted timeframes
- Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC) preferred.
- Must be able to board ships, enter confined spaces with limited visibility and have the ability to climb up and down stairs and/or ladders of varying heights to complete the job or inspections -Must be able to work indoors and outdoors under all weather conditions.
- Must be physically and medically qualified to wear required personal protective equipment.
- Must be able to interact with a variety of people in a variety of settings.
- Occasionally the work environment may be loud.
- The position occasionally requires work in outside weather conditions, including rain and extreme heat, near moving mechanical parts and includes occasional exposure to wet and/or humid conditions and to vibration.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- High performance and a strong team player.
- Commitment to company values.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Detail oriented, organizational and strong communication skills.
- Bilingual English/ Spanish (preferred by not required).
Click here to submit a Request for Repair Quote
or call us today for Repair Emergencies at 713.644.1595