Combo Pipe/Plate/Structural Welder
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
This position is responsible for the following: Other duties may be assigned.
- Layout, fabricate or repair metal plate, structural parts and/or pipe and braces them in position within hull of ship for riveting or welding according to specifications.
- Locates and marks reference lines, such as center, buttock, and frame lines.
- Select pipe and/or plate sizes and types and related materials. Such as supports, hangers, and hydraulic cylinders according to specifications.
- Measure, mark and install pipe and/or plate for cutting and/or threading per specifications, using tools such as saws, cutting torches, and pipe thread and benders.
- May prepare molds and templates for fabrication and nonstandard parts.
- Remove high spots and cut bevels using hand files, portable grinders and cutting torches.
- Fit and weld pipe and/or plate in the repair and/or construction of marine vessels and industrial components using gas welding, brazing, arc welding, wire fed welding, or tig welding process and procedures.
- May roll, bend, flange, cut, and shape plates, beams, and other heavy metal parts using shop machinery such as plate rolls, presses, bending brakes, and joggle machines.
- Select and set up welding equipment, execute the planned welds, and examine the welds to ensure they meet the standards or specification.
10. Weld components in a flat, vertical, or overhead position.
Required Education & Experience:
- High School diploma and/or one year certificate from college or technical school preferred.
- Industrial and/or marine fitting/welding experience:
- 1st Class: 3-5 years
- 2nd Class: 1-3 years
- Must pass an ABS, or ASME weld test.
- Bludworth Marine welder and pipe fitter test.
- TWIC card preferred.
- Open-air conditions such as noisy, hot, cold, etc.
- Must wear hearing, eye, head protection and proper PPE.
- Some climbing (100 ft.) and lifting (50 lbs.) involved.
- Traverse gangways and scaffolding at varying heights while wearing fall prevention equipment.
- Working with hot and sometimes hazardous materials.
- Aboard ships, both on and offshore as well as confined spaces.
- Must be able to stand and operate equipment up to four continuous hours.
- The work requires long periods of sitting in awkward positions, standing on a variety of surfaces and at different angles, bending over, crouching and climbing up and over obstructions such as scaffolding, ladders, and internal barge and boat structural members.
Necessary Equipment Operation:
- Squares, levels and hand & power tools.
- Blow torches – Motorized cutting torches; Pattern cutting torches; Welding torches.
- Gas welding, brazing, or cutting apparatus – Brazing equipment; Heliarc welding equipment; Oxyacetylene equipment; Portable gas operated arc welders.
- Manlift or personal lift – Hydraulic truck lifts; Swing stages
- Weld masks – Hand shields; Welding shields
- Ability to work under deadlines and schedule pressures.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, sketches, drawings and technical manuals.
- Perform basic mathematical functions.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Hugh performance and a strong team player.
- Commitment to company values and safety program.
- Trained to work with a wide variety of materials, such as titanium, aluminum, or exotic metals, in addition to steel.
Fitter/Welder Position basic Requirements:
Combo Fitter Welder-Pipe & Plate/Structural (COFW) – Fitter welder capable of fitting & welding Pipe, Plate, and Structural with knowledge of reading and interpreting drawings.
Click here to submit a Request for Repair Quote
or call us today for Repair Emergencies at 713.644.1595