1st Class Marine Mechanic - Houston, TX
Job Location: Houston, TX
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Perform a variety of troubleshooting, advanced level on marine high speed, medium speed, and low-speed diesel engines and pumps. Diagnosis of performance issues and major overhauls repairs on ships, tugboats, and barges repair and maintenance.
- Confers with operators and observes, tests, and evaluates the operation of machinery and equipment to diagnose the cause of the malfunction.
- Engine Alignments, Valve repairs
- Installation and alignment pumps / motors / coupling /twiw disc / gears Barge pumps
- Knowledge of tug and barge maintenance systems and equipment.
- Propeller and tail shift, rigging, removal & installation
- The ability to assess projects, procure materials, and execute repairs and projects quickly is absolutely necessary.
- Work independently in unsupervised mechanical-solutions situations
- Disassembles machinery and equipment to remove parts and make repairs.
- Examines parts for defects, such as breakage or excessive wear.
- Cleans and lubricates parts, equipment, and machinery.
- Test-runs repaired machinery and equipment to verify the adequacy of repairs.
- Welds to repair broken metal parts, fabricate new parts, and assemble new equipment.
- Orders or requisitions parts and materials.
- Repairs and replaces electrical wiring and components of machinery.
- Records repairs and tests motor for conformance to specifications and operations, using tachometers, monometers, voltmeters, ammeter, and stroboscope.
- Perform similar, incidental, and any other duties as assigned.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although out-of-the-area and overnight travel will be expected.
Required Education & Experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalent or 3 to 5 years related experience or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Marine engine and gear experience preferred.
- Experience in maintaining tugs and barges is a plus.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC) required.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook & PowerPoint) -Must have strong written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to board ships, enter confined spaces with limited visibility and have the ability to climb up and downstairs and/or ladders of varying heights to complete the job or inspections -Must be able to work indoors and outdoors under all weather conditions.
- Must be physically and medically qualified to wear required personal protective equipment.
- Must be able to interact with a variety of people in a variety of settings.
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines. Occasionally the work environment may be loud.
- The position occasionally requires work in outside weather conditions, including rain and extreme heat, near moving mechanical parts, and includes occasional exposure to wet and/or humid conditions and to vibration.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- High performance and a strong team player.
- Commitment to company values.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Detail-oriented, organizational, and strong communication skills.
- Bilingual English/ Spanish (preferred but not required).
Click here to submit a Request for Repair Quote
or call us today for Repair Emergencies at 713.644.1595